Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Wed, 2019-07-31 at 08:29 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 09:44:09AM +0300, Lars Eggert wrote:
> > On 2019-7-31, at 5:21, Martin Thomson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > The reasons to use GitHub aren't limited to hosting of git repositories.
> > >
> > > Foremost is the low friction for contributions, which is made
> > > possible by having a large, existing community of people with
> > > accounts and knowledge of the system.
> >
> > +100
> >
> > As someone said earlier in the thread, of course we can stand up our
> > own instance of pretty much anything based on git. But we'd
> > instantly loose the community already on the public platform.
>
> Git is a distributed system.  As such, the same git repository can
> be made available on multiple git servers.  For example:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/ext2/e2fsprogs.git
> https://github.com/tytso/e2fsprogs.git
> https://repo.or.cz/e2fsprogs.git
>
> Are all mirrors of each other.  So even if/when github.com were to cut
> off access to some country, people still have access from the other
> two git repos.

For the git part, yes. What's more problematic are extra things that are not
replicated, e.g. issues.

> Furthermore, *nothing* says that you have to use github's pull
> requests as the only way to request changes be made to a git
> repository.  You can just as easily send a request that a change be
> made to a git repo via:
>
> 	git send-email -1 --to=ietf-example-wg@xxxxxxxx
>
> .... and then the document editor can use "git am" to apply e-mail
> message to the repository, if she chooses.
>
> Cheers,
>
> 					- Ted
>
> P.S.  This is also something individual working groups can do on their
> own.  The repo.or.cz site is a public service which charges no fees
> (although they do accept donations) in the Czech Republic which, while
> part of NATO and the EU, might have somewhat different ideas of
> international relations than the Orange Haired One currently gracing
> the US White House.

Well, being a Czech citizen, I wouldn't be so optimistic :-)

However, it is not only about political pressures. A provider of any such
service can cease operation, or change its conditions, policies and pricing. I
think that if such a tool is perceived as important for the IETF community, than
it should be run by the IETF.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka