Re: VS: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

> On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:28 AM, Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As far as I know, each WG can decide to use whatever git service, hosted in whatever country, or choose to not use git. And, when making the decision to use a service I assume the WG will take into consideration whether contributors will have access to it (depending on in which country they live etc).

Perhaps this is currently the case, but should it be?  In other words, should a WG’s leaders be able to impose whatever geographic/political restrictions, software requirements, and privacy violations they wish, based on who they think can and should be able to effectively participate?

To be clear, I’m not accusing anyone. In IETF of malice or impropriety.  But requiring WG participants to use particular software and/or external web services does, in general, have such implications.

I don’t think a WG should be able to impose such requirements.

Keith