Re: Tolerance

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Richard Barnes <rlb@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> While I'm glad that the folks saying this are able to ignore this sort of language, that's not really the question.  The question someone should be *expected* to have that level of thick skin in order to participate.

I find myself wondering what if...

- we had a rule that explicitly permitted criticism of ideas but forbade criticism of people [*] (with penalties for repeated infractions)
- every discussion forum in ietf had a person tasked with calling out those who cross the above line

?

I’d like to think this would result in fewer personal attacks, more thoughtful criticism, and a less hostile impression of ietf to newcomers - without having a chilling effect on technical discussion.  But I’m not sure things would work out that way.

Keith

[*] no fair saying things like “this proposal is the product of a deranged mind” even though technically that’s a criticism of the proposal :)