Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On Jul 5, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you think you’re definitely wrong about something, and the goal of a discussion is to find a right answer, why would you contribute that something to a discussion?

The presumption is that I’m already in the conversation, and someone has said something to me with which I disagree.  It is at this point that presuming it is I, and not the other person, who is mistaken, is helpful.  Obviously I wouldn’t have joined the conversation in the first place if I didn’t have the (possibly mistaken) impression that I had something to add to it.  I am not proposing that that “possibly mistaken” part be presumed, and used as a reason not to contribute even though I feel that I have something to add.