Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On 7/3/19 11:14 AM, Job Snijders wrote:

[snip]

So the question is, is it possible for us to do better?
Yes, that is always the question. And I am cautiously optimistic, I
believe IETF will not fade into obsolescence because IETF has a unique
characteristic rarely is found in organisations: we have the ability to
change our process, and we have even have a defined process to guide
such process changes! Because we can change ourselves, change our
culture, we can adapt to changing circumstances.
I believe that the changes you seem to advocate would render IETF irrelevant, so I hope they never happen.
Can we do what worked for us in the past, but differently enough that
we successfully include speakers who would be silenced by harsh public
criticism?
Even if harsh public critisism has worked in the past, I don't think the
approach aligns with our current trajectory where it appears we are now
more mindful of inclusivity and acknowledge diversity.

I categorically disagree that "inclusivity" and "diversity" considerations require IETF participants to withhold criticism. Yes, some cultures and some individuals have been conditioned to believe that it's impolite to criticize and/or that criticism of one's ideas is tantamount to personal criticism.   We need to clearly establish that these conventions are NOT appropriate for IETF, or really, for any technical discussion.

We're dealing with the most complex systems that mankind have ever created.   We cannot afford to promote dishonesty in the guise of being "nice" or "politically correct".

Is there a way to practice Crocker’s rule that doesn’t discourage
participation?
In public context, I don't believe that is possible.
I don't believe it's possible to be technically competent in this subject matter without adopting a discipline akin to Crocker's rule (though perhaps not quite in that extreme).

On a positive note: I believe Marc's reference to Crocker's Rules was an
attempt to express openness, a willingness to create space for other
people to express themselves. Creating such space is a wonderful thing,
but as we operate in public context we have to look for the smallest
common denominator, however hard that may be.
"smallest common denominator" is a race to the bottom, it's promoting mediocrity as a virtue.   I emphatically disagree that it is.

Keith