Re: RFC Series Editor Resignation

Hi -

I'm going to top post because replying to this line by line isn't really the best way to dispose of this part of the thread.  And as someone noted, if I remained silent it might be taken as implicit approval of what I consider a unsupportable take on "stupidity" as described below.

As other's have noted, its possible for smart people to do stupid things.  It's even possible to get a stupid result (or " this stupidity") with many smart people doing perfectly reasonable things.  Note that I'm not claiming this is the current case.

In the instant case, this was a stupidity because it was a completely foreseeable result that was completely avoidable, but the result had many many parents:

1) The community for not more carefully constraining the IAB's assertion of authority over the RFC process.
2) The IAB for delegation of said authority to the RSOC without carefully constraining its exercise.
3) The IAB for not paying attention to the result of the RFC++ bof
4) The IAB for replacing the majority of the RSOC post the RFC++ bof without input from the RSE, and in apparent violation of one of the guiding principles of the RSOC - that of maintaining continuity from year to year.
5) The community for not yelling a lot louder and longer when (4) happened.
6) The community, IAB and RSOC for not appreciating the value of a world class professional editor/publisher to the continued excellence of the RFC series, and for not expressing that appreciation in the form of professional deference and independence rather than what appears to have been more of a "you contractor, me boss"* model.
7) The RSOC for ... well - you know.
8) The LLC for not paying better attention to the relationship between contractor and contractee.

I'm sure there are others.

To finish up - I appreciate that the Sargent at Arms has to walk a fine line here, but I don't think this is even close.  Again, I'd appreciate it if in the future we follow the general contract and first have private conversations.   You'll  have plenty of time afterward to make your explicit disapproval clear if necessary.

Also I'd really appreciate it if you don't attribute a particular emotion to my persistence with this set of discussions - it's yet another form of demeaning behavior.  You attributed "frustration", and another I* attributed "upset" to me.  What I actually am is "sad" at the state of affairs and "disappointed" in the various folk that caused this stupidity to occur somewhat including myself.  Feel free to use either of those words in future correspondence.

Mike

*About a year ago, shortly after the RFC++ bof, I had a conversation with one of the I* who I will not name about the disconnect between what I though the RFC editor job was and what I was seeing the I* push.  The phrase "she's just a contractor" is a direct quote from that conversation.