Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On 7/3/19 11:46 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
> I find this belittling and insulting.

I apologize for that.

> Of course I'm aware that we used
> consensus-based decision-making.  But the appearance of consensus is
> misleading if people aren't permitted to openly express their views,
> even if they do so in a suboptimal manner.

Consensus is a process, and it takes effort and craftsmanship
to build it.  Brutality and the argumentation style you and others
are advocating would be a pretty good example of a consensus anti-
pattern.  And I know you've heard this before but I'm going to
repeat it because I think it's a huge problem: harshness is going
to stop people from expressing their views, as well, and it's
really not at all clear to me that their participation is less
valuable than participation by people who feel muzzled by an
expectation of courtesy.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore