Re: Effective discourse in the IETF

On 7/3/19 3:09 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:

On 7/3/19 11:01 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
I may be exaggerating the situation somewhat by stating things in terms
of the extremes of possibility.   I agree that there is a middle
ground.   It is not necessary to be brutally honest at all times to get
good technical work done.
It is not necessary at all to be brutal to get good technical
work done.  It is a choice.

DIsagree.  Not brutal, but (as I said) brutally honest - which is an idiom.   (That's the best expression that currently comes to my mind, but there might be a better one.)

I'll also point out that we use consensus-based decision-making
in the IETF, and it may be worth a re-read (or first-time read)
of RFC 7282.

I find this belittling and insulting.   Of course I'm aware that we used consensus-based decision-making.  But the appearance of consensus is misleading if people aren't permitted to openly express their views, even if they do so in a suboptimal manner.

Keith