Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 06:26:48PM -0400, Ted Lemon wrote:
> However, we could have better tooling for doing document markup.
> E.g., Google Docs has a suggesting mode, where I can go in and edit a
> document, and you see my edits as suggestions that can be either
> accepted or deleted.   Inventing a new tool for doing this is probably
> too much work for the IETF to be doing, but this is a much better way
> to do document markup.

Better tools for OLD/NEW text suggestions would be nice.

I remember Stephen Kent using PDFs to share commentary.  That was
particularly difficult to use, oddly.  Git* hosting services might work
better, especially if authors commit .txt and/or .unpg renderings along
with .xml sources and .html renderings, provided there's enough archival
functionality.

> The question is, how to tie it to the mailing list discussion in a way
> that is useful and understandable?   A bog stupid option is to just
> use diff(1): edit the XML, and send us a diff.   Would be nice if the

I think it unlikely that reviewers will do this.  They might be more
inclined to edit unpaginated text renderings of the XML (I would be).

> diff could be annotated, and I think it can.   Why don’t we do this?

Because it's difficult to intersperse commentary with suggested edits
unless you do all of it in the latter form?

> We’d have to make sure the MUA didn’t mangle the diff, but I think
> that’s a tractable problem.

Well, if you expect XML diffs, then you expect a PR.

Maybe we should just move wholesale to Git* hosting services.  I, for
one, would consider that a loss.  I recently had to collate code review
commentary from a large code review on GitHub, and it was unpleasant --
I resorted to saving all the e-mails in an mbox and editing that, though
perhaps I should have just built tooling aroun the GitHub API.

E-mail has warts, but decades since the first RFCs, it mostly still
works for us.

Nico