Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > These interims, they by their nature means people all across the globe need
    > to participate at the same time. This is a strain on some people regardless
    > of when on the 24 hour clock it is. So perhaps instead if each draft author
    > who wants a slot on the WG agenda has to create a standalone slide deck that
    > sums up the meat of the draft in 5-10 slides together with the intro/abstract
    > of the draft (which then by virtue of need of gathering attention has

This reminds me of poster-presentations at scientific fora.
Let me suggest that the preperation and then recording of the virtual interim
meeting essentially is creating what you want.  Nobody needs to attend in
real time, they can easily watch it later.

    > actually sum up the draft properly), and then there is a non-synchronised
    > "virtual interim" that is a one week review period and then people have to
    > "upvote" or similar if they think the draft makes sense to bring on the
    > agenda. This would involve developing new systems but shouldn't be too
    > complicated.

I do like having the up-vote on the DT rather than the +1 on the list.

    > It would perhaps be even better if there was more focus and perhaps even
    > "draft interims" where there were sessions scheduled to have real-time
    > discussions about a specific draft, if there was enough interest.

yes... we actually do this pretty well already.
Design teams often announce their work schedule, and it is also the case that
even with informal author teams, I/we invite frequent contributors to help.
But, those sessions scale to 4-5 people and a shared editor.

    > Personally I still think the mailing list format of review and discussions
    > are generally the best, but I've been told there are others who do not
    > agree. So... the ones who think that this isn't great, would any of the above
    > make more sense to you?

I'm starting to wonder if we need an email-101 tutorial for newcomers.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-