Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

In article <6CA657AE-35AD-4061-94FE-88F2CC926D56@xxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>> New work usually benefits from presentation, whether in BoFs or
>> existing WGs targeting WG adoption.
>
>A lot of people say that a lot. I have never heard an adequate
>justification for it or any metrics to indicate that it is true.

It's not exactly a chicken and egg problem, but I can't count the
number of times a new topic comes up, the chair asks how many people
have read the draft, and approximately no hands go up.  It's often
hard to tell how much that's because people looked at the title and it
didn't look interesting, they missed it in the flood of I-Ds sent just
before the cutoff, or the room is full of tourists who don't read the
WG list.

It seems to me that the place for the presentation is on the WG list
in the weeks before the meeting to encourage people to read the draft
and think about the topic.  I don't have a strong opinion about how one
might make a presentation on a mailing list.  Send a link to the slides
with some teasers about their exciting contents, perhaps.

R's,
John