Re: IETF attendance costs

On May 14, 2019, at 3:15 PM, Mary B <mary.h.barnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[MB] I wasn't suggesting more slides, but there seems to be some folks in these discussions that think we can do away with presentations altogether.   I agree that the notion is to come to agreement on contentious issues.  One challenge is that everyone in the room doesn't have the same level of understanding of the issue.  So, it's extremely important IMHO to make sure the issue is well framed.  Some folks might find some of what's said repetitive.  In reality, we could have WG sessions and get stuff done with a fraction of the number of people in the room. But, if the notion is to be more open and increase participation from new folks, we need to ensure that what we do makes sense to the point that they can see how they might contribute in the future.   [/MB]

Perhaps, but effective communication comes from interaction,  not lecturing.   I’ve seen many presentations where an amazing amount of effort went into preparing the chart, and the effect of the presentation was to just confuse me more than I had been before it started.   Preparing a presentation so that it actually gets the point across is actually quite difficult.   We do see presentations of this type at the IETF, but they are more the exception than the rule.   If we really want to be more effective, this is another knob we could turn: training on effective presentation.