Re: [tsvwg] travel funds for ietf for the next SCE talk?

On May 10, 2019, at 7:00 AM, Ted Lemon <mellon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On May 10, 2019, at 9:47 AM, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The only  people who get a fully free ride that I know of are the IEEE Comsoc Board.

Hm.  I’ve never paid to attend IETF.  Granted, this is not because IETF comped me, but because I was fortunate enough to have an employer who could afford to send me at no cost to me.

This model unfortunately doesn’t work for open source developers who are not on the payroll of a company with deep pockets.

Nor academics. I stopped coming because I couldn’t find a gov’t agency interested in supporting my participation either (and my current employer doesn’t either).

This is a problem not only for general attendance but also for the IESG - which impacts some decisions being made as well.

Joe