Re: IETF attendance costs

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 06:00:52PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 10 May 2019, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > What percentage of ietf attendees actually present their work?
>
> Too many. Presentations should really be limited to recaps of
> what has been done and discussed.

Disagree as to the second sentence; dunno as to the first.

New work usually benefits from presentation, whether in BoFs or existing
WGs targeting WG adoption.

> "presenting" is not an appropriate measurement for value to the IETF.

Agreed.

> I know people who hardly ever present or are involved in new work, but
> their feedback to new work is extremely valuable.

Yes.  All sorts of work is there to be done.  Some of it is writing,
some of it is reviewing.  Presentations barely take resources by
comparison to our mailing lists (which take a great deal more cycles to
tend to).

Nico