Re: IETF attendance costs

On May 11, 2019, at 02:09, John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Too many. Presentations should really be limited to recaps of
>> what has been done and discussed.
>
> Agreed.  Way too many of them feel like "my boss wouldn't let me come
> unless I tell him I am presenting" followed by a slide show of an I-D
> we could have read faster by ourselves.

That is a meme on this mailing list.

Strangely, I actually don’t see it that often in the wild.

If it happens (and I care about the WG), I’m likely to talk to the chairs.

> The best use of WG meeting time is to work out issues that we have
> found to be too knotty to untangle in e-mail.

That is one very good use of WG time, although that can also be a good use of hallway time (or the opportunities for unstructured meeting time).
There are other good uses, such as validating consensus on some item of progress (or creating some consensus in the first place), or simply making use of the serendipity of having all those tourists in the room.

If you don’t like how your chairs are using the time, talk to them.
If you do this and they turn out to be hopeless, talk to the ADs.
(And if these are hopeless, talk to nomcom :-)

Grüße, Carsten