email-101 [was Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs]

>     > Personally I still think the mailing list format of review and discussions
>     > are generally the best, but I've been told there are others who do not
>     > agree. So... the ones who think that this isn't great, would any of the above
>     > make more sense to you?
>
> I'm starting to wonder if we need an email-101 tutorial for newcomers.

Not just for newcomers?

I find life is progressively harder as people's email habits drift in
different directions. Just elementary things like flowed vs unflowed
text. Various methods of quoting text. People who seem to regard
HTML as the normal format. Use of colour, which doesn't work in the
plain text variant.

Apart from the mechanics, there is indeed etiquette, but deeper issues
(like using simple English, avoiding slang and idioms), failing to
change the Subject when the subject changes, and knowing when to
shut up (which I will now do).

    Brian