Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 11:21:24PM +0000, Melinda Shore wrote:
> On 5/15/19 1:34 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 03:39:57PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:
> >> 3) reduce presentations from costly in-person meetings
> > +1 (Except, again, for BoFs, because they are very much about marketing
> >     new work, and they can't be expected to have a virtual interim.
>
> Right, except that there's no reason they can't have a call.
>
> It strikes me that we tend to be driven by deadlines, and for
> that reason having interims/virtual meetings/whatever might be
> very effective for moving new work forward (rather than relying
> on free-form mailing list discussions).

I'd agree, but social dynamics are important.  I think for a _BoF_ ones
needs a physical meeting.  IMO it's risky to demand no presentations at
physical BoFs until we know that virtual BoFs work well (the risk being
that new work dries up).

Perhaps we could just as easily generate interest in new work via
virtual BoFs as with physical ones.  But if the only reason for having
virtual BoFs is to avoid having presentations in a physical BoF, then I
think we should first demonstrate that virtual BoFs work.

Nico