Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

On 14 May 2019, at 17:57, Michael Richardson wrote:

I think that WGs need to have virtual interims partway between meetings in
which to hold presentation-style events where the initial problem statement
is provided. This accomodates the "need" to present, while not wasting
super-expensive meeting time.

This should be at least two weeks prior to draft cut-off date, such that
revisions and suggestions could go into a draft, and there could be some list
traffic about the document.

This is an intriguing proposal. As a wg chair, I can see the utility of having a virtual interim to present a new draft or topic for the wg before making a decision on whether to put it on the agenda. If you did it early enough, it might inform wg conflicts and event IETF attendance. A side benefit is that interim agendas are broadly announced and may reach folks who are not otherwise tracking the wg. I think I’ll try this in the TAPS wg the next time a new topic comes up.

--aaron