Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 04:00:44PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 5/15/19 3:44 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
>
> > I'm starting to wonder if we need an email-101 tutorial for newcomers.
>
> Maybe.  There are specific practices and etiquette for effective use
> of email that I suspect originated in ARPAnet days, and some of which
> may have been influenced by Usenet, but are not always known to more
> recent participants.

Anyone using BUI/GUI MUAs will generally have trouble with proper e-mail
etiquette.  Some BUI/GUI MUAs at least give you the option or even
default to something close to angle bracket quoting...

....but one MUA whose name is cursed defaults to top-posting w/o angle
bracket quoting and makes it really difficult to enable angle bracket
quoting, and then makes it really difficult to use that correctly.  The
vendor of that cursed MUA has been improving lots of things in their
stack enormously of late -- they're doing impressive work.  Maybe, just
maybe, someone there will find it possible to remediate that cursed MUA.

That one MUA has made e-mail poison, made it more IM-like without being
IM.

Nico