Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs

On May 15, 2019, at 1:00 PM, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:44 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if we need an email-101 tutorial for newcomers.

Maybe.   There are specific practices and etiquette for effective use of email that I suspect originated in ARPAnet days, and some of which may have been influenced by Usenet, but are not always known to more recent participants.

Examples are: quoting the subject message in a reply and putting responses inline rather than at top or bottom, judicious trimming of quoted portions of a subject message in replies, changing the subject line when appropriate, start replying privately when the discussion gets heated (with a notation to that effect in the message body), the pros and cons of cross-posting to multiple lists, "reply all" vs. "reply to list", and more recently, the "+1" convention.   It might be a useful exercise to try to document some of these things.

Keith

Back in the day, the Responsible Use of the Network (run) WG addressed netiquette, among other things.

(BTW, the archive is at ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/run/ .)

—gregbo