Re: IETF attendance costs

>> As one example, the gaia wg had some really interesting speakers from
>> poorer parts of the world that got there somehow, when it was first
>> formed. How did that happen? Is it still happening?

> I don't know, but I suspect ISOC had a hand in it. Special facilities
> for participants from developing countries are an excellent thing,
> although the ISOC Fellowships seem to be on hold at the moment.

gaia is not an IETF working group - it is an IRSG research group,
and that is not a trivial distinction in terms of working methods
or deliverables.

On balance I think the increase in RG sessions during IETF
meetings is a very good thing but it has led to an increase
in this sort of confusion.

At any rate, as someone who's both self-funded and participated
remotely quite a bit, I don't think that the goal here is to get
more people to meetings, but rather to make sure that people who
are actually contributing have the ability to fully participate,
whatever form that takes (ignoring, for the moment, meeting
revenues).  Meetings are not conferences, they're working meetings.

I also don't know how to communicate more clearly than we have
been that the IETF is not a membership organization and there
is no voting - that's a related misunderstanding that just
doesn't seem to go away.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore