Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

Il 12/11/18 20:16, Ted Lemon ha scritto:
> The Meetecho server is a lousy choice.   I tried using it this IETF, and
> it demanded all kinds of authentication information I didn't have
> handy.

Meetecho is a tool for *participating* remotely at IETF meetings. It
allows you to actively contribute to the standardization process. As
such, it requires you to be registered to the IETF meeting (either as
on-site or remote participant) because you need to be identifiable and
accept the "Note Well" (which you do during the registration process).

All authentication information you need is your name and your
Registration ID, which is also printed on your badge if you're a local
participant. There's also a clear way to retrieve it through the
registration system.

> Plus it consumes bandwidth even if you don't need the AV feed.

Video feeds can be disabled from within the Meetecho UI. Audio can't.
Anyway I do agree that using Meetecho only as a Jabber client is far
from ideal and overkill. There are XMPP clients for that.

Actually, no, there really aren't, at least not on the Mac with any sort of
long term stability.

Having to shift clients from time to time has always been a pain, but it was an
unavoidable plain when Jabber was something I used at work and I had to expend
the time anyway. But now that Slack has completely replaced Jabber in the
workplace this is no longer the case.

I doubt I'm the only one for which this is true.

And so having to hunt for the working client du jour is no longer a task
I'm willing to perform.

The good news is the chat feature in Meetecho gets the job done for me.

				Ned