Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:15 AM Dave Cridland <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The consumer market is dominated by a set of large, well-funded companies with a vested interest in ensuring there is no standard.

Perhaps this is true, but that's not why XMPP failed.   XMPP failed because it's really difficult to set up, even if you already have a client.   And that in turn makes it hard to set up clients.   If I want to join an IETF jabber room, I first need to set up a jabber account somewhere, and that jabber account has to have federation working so that I can connect to the IETF's jabber setup.

If we wanted jabber to actually work, we would get rid of the federation requirement, which is totally superfluous for the case of participating in the IETF.   In an IPv6 end-to-end network, federation for messaging doesn't really add value—it's just a barrier to entry.   Maybe it made sense in the land of NAT, but at this point I think we are more likely to have working IPv6 than to have working Jabber.