Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

--On Thursday, November 8, 2018 20:14 +0000 Dave Cridland
<dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2018 7:59 pm, "Nico Williams" <nico@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> Meetecho is effectively yet another an IM w/ audiovideo
> platform.  There are others (all proprietary, I think, but at
> least parts(?) of Discord are open).  Like everything else in
> the IM space post-XMPP, it's a symptom of the balkanization of
> IM in the absence of a widely adopted and used IM standard.
> More than that, I think this means that the market does not
> want an IM standard.  Pity.  I'd rather have a standard.
> Unless Meetecho has changed dramatically, it, too, is "just"
> another XMPP implementation.

If you two are talking about the chat frame in Meetecho, sure
and no one has claimed otherwise.  To at least some extent it is
there because the IETF used Jabber and we are (or were) a major
customer.

If you are talking about Meetecho as a virtual meeting /
teleconferencing system, its competitors are GoToMeeting, WebEx,
Zoom, and a bunch of others, not traditional IM systems, even
those with "add people to conversation" options.  It may be
worth remembering that efforts to build teleconferencing systems
of that flavor predate Internet-based IM systems unless one
counts SMTP's SEND verb or the early, mostly-Unix-based, talk
protocol.

Just a personal opinion but those more commercial virtual
meeting systems seem to be optimized (with differing priorities)
for scenarios that simulate a relatively small number of people
sitting around a table, a large meeting in which someone is
presenting or lecturing to a collection of remote people, or a
larger conference in which almost everyone is remote from each
other.   Meetecho, I assume at least in part because the IETF's
way of working influenced their design, is far better optimized
to our "big room with a lot of people in it, many of whom are
participating rather just listening, and a much smaller number
of widely-distributed remote participants, some of whom become
part of the discussions and others of whom may actually present"
model.

Speaking as someone who is very dependent on it and who would
probably have to drop out if f2f meetings had the same
importance for the IETF they had 15 or 20 years ago, I'm really
grateful for Meetecho and the people who make it work, how much
it has improved over the last several years, and how superior it
is to those other systems (a couple of which I find myself using
regularly).

best,
   john