Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:14:29PM +0000, Dave Cridland wrote:
> The consumer market is dominated by a set of large, well-funded companies
> with a vested interest in ensuring there is no standard.

The customers get some say, and they seem to be fine with that state of
affairs, I guess.

> This isn't the case in most - less visible - markets, although not all
> markets have picked the same standard. The business/corporate world has
> mostly picked Slack (with some Skype for Business - which is itself XMPP
> and SIP/SIMPLE capable I think), the OSS project world still mostly
> revolves around IRC, with a bit of Discord and others at the fringes.

I quite like Discord.  I'm very happy with Meetecho for IETF remote
participation though.  But I would really like an XMPP text-based client
to run in a tty.

> Several markets have adopted XMPP, though, both for IM and for general
> structured realtime messaging. Many more players have adopted it in part
> (usually C2S only) to gain access to some market, and then dropped it
> (witness Slack, Facebook, Google, etc).
>
> Unless Meetecho has changed dramatically, it, too, is "just" another XMPP
> implementation.

Yes, but we all just use the web UI because the problem is the missing /
rotted XMPP clients.

Nico