Re: Jabber [Was: Plenary questions]

On 11/12/18 11:12 AM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> Slack lets you archive discussions.

As long as the provider meets IETF policies on control over the
archives, that's great.

>  Not that I'm suggesting using
> Slack;

We can use whatever meets the requirements we have, I suppose.

> I'm just pointing out reasons why Jabber hasn't taken off, and
> why it's not working for us.

Those are two different questions.

>  Federation _is_ mandatory, in the sense
> that I can't join an IETF jabber room without it.

The IETF could run its own Jabber server, or registered attendees could
use Meetecho as described earlier in this thread.

> I think there's a larger problem to be looked at here, of which this
> particular point is one aspect.   It would be good to write something
> up.   At the same time, it's a time sink, and I don't have any slack
> time right now in which to do it.   :(

If you spent less time on Slack, you might have more slack time. ;-)

Peter