Re: Diversity considerations

See below

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 27, 2018, at 04:27, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Padma,
> At 02:04 AM 27-09-2018, Padma Pillay-Esnault wrote:
>> My open question was actually to poll the thoughts of the community on creating more diversity on NomCom and other levels in IETF.
>
> Several years ago there were discussions on this mailing list about the above.  There were a few Area Directors who responded positively.
>
>> There is a plethora of articles/blogs... out there about diverse interview panels being key to achieving diversity.
>
> I read some articles about the topic.
>
>> Today, AFAIK (I may be wrong or unaware of unwritten rules)  it seems that company affiliation is the main diversity factor.
>
> Affiliation is part of the (written) selection criteria.

That we know it is the unwritten ones that would be great to ink.

>> Undoubtedly, this is a good start but surely it can be augmented for other diversity considerations as well such as gender parity...
>
> There are issues on which I would have to seek advice from a person(s) who has a better perspective; gender might be a consideration.
>

>> If we are committed on diversity and enlarging the pool of candidates then possible starting points could be
>> 1. More diversity on the interview panels and other levels contributing to key selection criteria
>> 2. Mentorship to build a pool of future candidates
>> 3. Rotations to create more opportunities to qualify for key selection criteria
>
> The first point would be challenging.

Challenging should not be a reason for not trying...

> There is an existing mentorship programme (point 2).

Earlier on this thread.. There should be mentorship for leading positions.

> As for point 3, please see draft-klensin-nomcom-incumbents-first-00.

You miss my point, it was not about the rotation of incumbents appearing before noncom but about creating a larger pool of diverse candidates by allowing to get pass key selection criteria. For example if being wg chair or directorate in the area is such a criteria that reduces the pool of candidates to a few.  If there was more rotation that would naturally increase the pool of candidates.

We can talk about diversity or about lack of candidates having the required skills all we want but nothing will change unless we have the willingness to address why the pool is small.

Padma