Re: Diversity considerations

Christian:

On 27.09.18 18:11, Christian Huitema wrote:

Of course, that does not mean that having multiple perspectives is not important. A team in which everybody thinks alike is very likely to engage in group-think and be blind to events. For example, if I had mostly nerds in a team, I would want to add artists. If my team members cared mostly about engineering and performance, I would want to add advocates for usability and design. We have many dimensions of that in the IETF, security, performance, privacy, ease of use, maintenance, operations, scaling, internationalization. Different people have different priorities. We should try to select for this kind of diversity in the leadership.

I largely agree.  There are two ways to look at all of this:
  • reactive: what people end up doing based on events; and
  • advocative and aspirational: what people want to do when they get into a role.

Our immediate future rests with our leadership's ability to have enough breadth and depth to handle the former well; and our long term future depends on having people who have a good vision.

Whether that extends all the way to artists and usability experts, I'm not sure, but it can't hurt to try.

Eliot