Re: Diversity considerations (was: Re: General non-confidential input to NomCom)

On 9/26/18 7:48 AM, Riccardo Bernardini wrote:
> I agree.  Taking care of diversity is like trying to avoid offending
> people: a good thing, but also a _very_ slippery slope.  I think that
> they require action in two directions: for doing the right thing (non
> offending, promoting diversity) and contrasting any tentation to go too
> far ("why whouldn't you purge the text of 'master/slave', it is almost
> costless and make someone happy..."  that's a slipeery slope...)

I'm entirely unclear what "too far" means in this context, outside
of your one example, but I would hope that it's generally understood
that we're talking about a group of people responsible for guiding
the work of the IETF.  It's very much in the interest of the IETF
producing work that's actually useful that the people guiding that
work represent a range of experience/communities/areas of expertise/
etc.  Adding a reminder about that to NomCom guidance from the
community seems entirely appropriate to me.

Melinda