Re: Diversity considerations

Michael

On 9/26/18, 5:49 PM, "Michael Richardson" <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Padmadevi Pillay Esnault <padma@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        > How much diversity we can expect at all levels of IETF process if we do
        > not factor the type of input in?  If we want to be really serious about
        > diversity at all levels then we should ensure the NomCom interview
        > panel itself has enough diversity to avoid any unconscious bias.

    The set of interviewees is not diverse enough yet for this to matter.

But how come it is not diverse?
Well, it might well be that the set of interviewees is short because many may not want to throw the hat in the ring only to get rejected.
Per your other email on unwritten rules then this not only narrows the pool of candidates but creates even more lack of diversity.

Intuitively, to broaden the set and have the diversity then it must be accompanied by some willingness to change and creating a
bigger pool by mentorship or accepting that there is a ramp up period.

If there is a will there is a way ….

Padma

    --
    Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works