Re: Diversity considerations

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >> I'm entirely unclear what "too far" means in this context, outside of
    >> your one example, but I would hope that it's generally understood that
    >> we're talking about a group of people responsible for guiding the work
    >> of the IETF.  It's very much in the interest of the IETF producing
    >> work that's actually useful that the people guiding that work
    >> represent a range of experience/communities/areas of expertise/ etc.
    >> Adding a reminder about that to NomCom guidance from the community
    >> seems entirely appropriate to me.

    > However, we'd better face an ugly truth, which is that if the
    > composition of the IETF as a whole isn't diverse, the NomCom will not
    > be able to do much with that guidance. So IMHO a serious approach to
    > diversity has to start at the input (who participates in the IETF), not
    > at the output (who is nominated for the leadership).

Yes exactly.  But, are other levels of management that you need to
progress through.  The only really well defined "level" below AD is of course
WG chair, but there are other "achievements" that also matter in the
progress, including WG document editor, publishing-RFC, shepherding a
document, etc.

If you want to know who could be an AD, look at the WG chair list.
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/photos/

Due to some of the unwritten criteria, if you haven't been a WG chair,
you essentially can not be confirmed as an AD.    Even a person who has had
significant leadership roles in another SDO, or wrote a few very widely
implemented and cited protocols (even with multiple books about them).
Are these things reasonable?  Debatable, but there is some reason behind it.

The conversation a few weeks about how to fund AD positions is particularly
relevant.  From the list above, remove anyone who is self-employed/employed
by a small company, (semi-)retired, has already been an AD/IAB...  the list
is unfortunately quite short, and not as diverse as the participants of the
IETF.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-