Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On 20 Sep 2018, at 8:19, Toerless Eckert wrote:

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 06:50:14AM -0800, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 9/20/18 6:31 AM, Toerless Eckert wrote:
Thinking beyond my frustration with virtue signalling:

I'm not sure that it's helpful to suggest that there's no
actual substance to concerns about inadvertent offense
being caused by unthoughtful use of language, partly
because it's insulting and dismissive but primarily because
it's simply not accurate.

virtue signalling describes the condition where a proposed change
does not address or resolve real concerns but is just introduced
to suggest empathy and only accelerates the euphemism treadmill.

It's hard to tell if you are saying that the people on this thread who believe that using better language will resolve real concerns are wrong, or if you are accusing them of lying.

--Paul Hoffman