Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 09:34:05AM -0400, Kathleen Moriarty wrote:
> And what if your last name were Moriarty?  You'd never have the community
> be okay with you as a Security AD? ;-)

Maybe perception of an appropriate criminal pedigree was actually a plus for
your career in security ;-)

> I'm fine with Block/permit lists, but don't think there is a racial
> connotation to black/white list.  White lists being preferred may be where
> the issue arrises I'm guessing.  Switching would be fine with me.

Thinking beyond my frustration with virtue signalling:

When i learned about computers, my english from scchool was pretty lousy,
so i learned a lot of words with their "computer" meaning first.
And then i often wondered how/why those words where choosen when
i looked up their real world" meaning.

Aka: For inclusiveness with non-native english speakers, there is
something to be said about choosing a language that minimizes the
required cultural and historical context.

> I already say active interception or session hijacking and think that's a
> fine replacement for man-in-the-middle.  I didn't see an issue with
> man-in-the-middle.

Except that hijacking/interception seem to be more easily implying an
easily discovered attack, whereas the main attack of concern are those
not discovered.

Cheers
    toerless