Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

Hi all,

On the hrpc-list [0] there has been an intense conversation which was
spurred by the news that the Python community removed Master/Slave
terminology from its programming language [1].

In the discussion that followed it was remarked that in RFCs terms like
Master/Slave, blacklist/whitelist, man-in-middle, and other terminology
that is offensive to some people and groups is quite common.

This is not a discussion that can be resolved in hrpc, but rather should
be dealt with in the IETF community (because hrpc doesn't make policy
for terminology in the IETF), which is why I am posting this here.

If people find the discussion worthwhile, we might also be just in time
to request a BoF on this topic.

Looking forward to discuss.

Best,

Niels

[0] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/hrpc/
[1]
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8x7akv/masterslave-terminology-was-removed-from-python-programming-language

--
Niels ten Oever
Researcher and PhD Candidate

PGP fingerprint	   2458 0B70 5C4A FD8A 9488
                   643A 0ED8 3F3A 468A C8B3