Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

Hi Niels,

As my wife so often tells our kids, "manners cost nothing."

Considering that the RFC series is archival and therefore our words will live for a long time, it's also prudent to be careful with our words. Consider how casual racism and sexism from even twenty years ago is perceived now.

So I think that this should be highlighted on the shepherd's checklist <https://www.ietf.org/iesg/template/doc-writeup-essay-style.html> -- e.g., "Is the terminology used in the draft unnecessarily specific to one culture, or potentially offensive?".

The RFC Editor might also want to make these considerations part of their process, in consultation with the stream managers.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/