Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On 20/09/18 15:12, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Joking aside, Niels does bring a valid point, and it would be nice if we
> got some guidelines for avoiding these existing known words, and prevent
> us from creating new problematic ones.

I'd be fine if someone wrote a draft that provided examples of
terms that are generally better avoided and guidance as to how
to do better with a focus perhaps on trying to find accurate
but descriptive terms. That could be fairly tricky to get right
and I'd guess contentious, but I don't see it being a problem
that someone wants to work on that. I'd read it anyway.

I'm not sure if it'd help or hinder such work, but I'd be happy
if such a draft included guidance on not using marketing terms
myself, like simple-foo, trusted-foo, cloud-foo and especially
cyber-foo. (I get very slightly offended sometimes when people
do that;-) If including such helped, the putative draft could
then be about doing better than badly chosen terms, and not only
about terms that may be considered offensive for historic or
other non-technical reasons.

S.