Re: Diversity and offensive terminology in RFCs

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:25:58AM +0200, Niels ten Oever wrote:
> This is not a discussion that can be resolved in hrpc, but rather should
> be dealt with in the IETF community (because hrpc doesn't make policy
> for terminology in the IETF), which is why I am posting this here.
>
> If people find the discussion worthwhile, we might also be just in time
> to request a BoF on this topic.
>
> Looking forward to discuss.

This is a valuable topic, thank you for bringing it up.

IMHO the IETF should promte clear communication. The use of a term that's
likely be *perceived* as weighted by some readers -- even if the author
didn't intend it that way, and even if person who coined the term in the
first place didn't intend it that way -- can still hinder communication
with those readers. If it's easy to find an equivalent term without
the baggage, then it seems like common sense to use that term instead.

--
Evan Hunt -- each@xxxxxxx
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.