From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> on behalf of Alvaro Retana <aretana.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 08:56
To: "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ideas@xxxxxxxx" <ideas@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Ideas] WG Review: IDentity Enabled Networks (ideas)

    [Apologies for not chiming in before. [*]]

    I’ve been reading this thread and discussing with others in the IAB/IESG.  Thank you for all the comments and opinions!

    The concerns about privacy/anonymity and the potential results (tracking, censorship, etc.) are clear.  It is a serious topic and I wouldn’t have expected less.  I can also see that clarifications about the intention or assurances about what the (proposed) WG should produce/focus on haven’t been enough to reduce the criticism of both the charter and the existing (individual) work.

    At this point in the process, and without trying to run the WG or rewrite the documents on this thread, all I can offer is charter text.  My expectation is for the support documents (i.e. the individual drafts that have been written so far) to be discussed and consensus reached on them – vs assuming that they are a foregone conclusion.  I think that the number of use cases require that formal discussion anyway.  Whatever the result of the chartering effort is, I hope that interested people will join the mailing list and contribute with the same enthusiasm.  To me, the widening of the audience has been as important as the discussion itself.

    Right after I send this e-mail I will be opening the ballot [1] for this week’s IESG Telechat discussion of this (proposed) WG.  I will be balloting “Yes” because I think that the discussion could be taken further in the context of a WG (hopefully with additional security/privacy expertise).  I know that the charter text is not perfect, and realize that I may be in the rough anyway.

    Thanks!

    Alvaro.

    [1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ideas/ballot/

    [*] I’m in the process of changing jobs, took a couple of (I would strongly argue, well-deserved) days off in between, e-mail went missing, changed e-mail systems 3 times… <sigh>   Definitely not the best timing. :-(