Re: WG Review: IDentity Enabled Networks (ideas)

On Sun, Oct 8, 2017 at 10:55 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Padma,
At 06:38 PM 07-10-2017, Padma Pillay-Esnault wrote:
Not sure if you have been following the discussions the last few days and emails today.  The charter which is under review is not trying to create an embedded identifier to track users.

I caught up with the thread about this proposed working group.  The (proposed) charter might say that it is not trying to create an embedded identifier to track users.  What if that was a side effect of this work?

I believe this has already been discussed on the thread. But here it is again, the id.loc protocols are in perspective here and they use ephemeral identifiers, can obsfuscate them or encrypt them as Dino pointed out earlier.

There is even text in the charter regarding this.

- Analysis of the concepts of identity-identifier split and dynamic identifier changes, including their implications on anonymity and privacy. Explicitly, the framework must define privacy requirements and how potential extensions/solutions should meet them.

- Security analysis of the complete system, including authentication, authorization requirements and protection of any metadata.

I took a look at the ideas problem statement draft.  I can understand that there may be a need for identification.  However, it is up to the companies or 501(c)(3) status organizations to make their case for that.

?? Not sure what /how this is in context .... Are we still taking about routing information here?

Will this proposed working group do any maintenance work on IPv4 technical specifications?  Will the output of this proposed working group be used for future work on IPv4 technical specifications?

Can you clarify what you mean here by maintenance work on IPv4 technical specification? Again the context here is a mapping system infrastructure to be used by Id/Loc protocols.

Padma

The draft in question is being updated and the authors are doing for clarification.

Ok.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy