Re: So do both [was Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?]

On 10/9/17 10:14 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 08:38 +1300 Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So why don't we, the Internet standards people who believe in
rough consensus and running code, request the RFC Editor (a
friend of ours) to supply two text versions of each RFC, like

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.txt   as today, with
BOM if relevant
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.ut8
containing pure UTF-8 with no BOM ever
If one were really going to do that, one would need three
representations (pick your own three-character suffixes for the
first two):

	rfc8176.utf8   (standard/normal Unicode in UTF-8, no BOM)
	rfc8176.utf8-with-BOM (as above, but...)
	rfc8176.txt    (ASCII, with characters outside the ASCII
repertoire expressed as \u'[N[N]]NNNN' (see RFC 5137) or
another escaping system of the RFC Editor's choice.

A few points to consider. First, the RFC Editor will review, at least to some extent, every file we produce, and our tools will need to be modified to create the additional formats; that complexity would then need to be maintained going forward. The more files added, the more resources it will take to produce. This has implications for either the time it takes to publish or the cost it takes to publish. Second, there have also been some discussions about creating separate files for paginated versus unpaginated text files. That would take us up to six files just for the plain-text outputs (noting the RFC Editor also has the PDF/A-3 and HTML to review).

Alternatively, the IETF community that prefers plain text can develop tools that takes the one file created by the RFC Editor and strip the BOM, add pagination, or run it through a translation tool to get it in their native language--these will not be produced or reviewed by the RFC Editor, but will perhaps meet the individual desires here. Given the number of options, opinions, and resources involved, I think this makes the most sense.

-Heather