Re: So do both [was Re: Should the IETF be condoning, even promoting, BOM pollution?]

> So why don't we, the Internet standards people who believe in rough
> consensus and running code, request the RFC Editor (a friend of ours)
> to supply two text versions of each RFC, like
>
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.txt   as today, with BOM if relevant
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.ut8   containing pure UTF-8 with no BOM ever

Because that sends an even stronger signal that the IETF has given up on UTF-8 being the standard text encoding.

A better way to do this — just add:

> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8187.txt?and-get-me-a-bom-for-that-because-my-environment-cant-handle-utf8-without

(Possibly slightly abbreviated, as in ?agmabftbmechuw.)

So everybody else can still easily wget/curl the undamaged .txt file.

Grüße, Carsten