Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

* Stephen Farrell wrote:
>On 01/04/2014 01:10 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>> * Stephen Farrell wrote:

>The text (I hate to bring it up, seems almost unfashionable;-),
>says:
>
>   Those developing IETF specifications need to be able to describe how
>   they have considered pervasive monitoring, and, if the attack is
>   relevant to the work to be published, be able to justify related
>   design decisions.  This does not mean a new "pervasive monitoring
>   considerations" section is needed in IETF documentation.  It means
>   that, if asked, there needs to be a good answer to the question "is
>   pervasive monitoring relevant to this work and if so how has it been
>   addressed?"

>Lloyd's "paraphrase" is entirely unlike the actual text. His
>quote marks, are, like his argument, entirely bogus. (And not
>even funny, which is often a redeeming quality of Lloyd's
>posts:-) Given that there seems to be a trend to ignore the
>actual text, and that that I've already commented on that, I
>think yes, his supposed quote is out of order. Perhaps you
>don't, and that's fine, but I do.

If you think it would be a serious problem if the text is interpreted as
in the paraphrase above, then I think revisions to the actual text are
in order, because if there is any difference between the actual text and
the paraphrase, I find it hard to impossible to make out. It is not fine
to keep the text as-is if it is easy to misinterpret.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxx · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de