Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

* Stephen Farrell wrote:
>On 01/04/2014 12:45 AM, l.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> "Please include a full explanation of how pervasive monitoring is
>> mitigated in this protocol. If this protocol is not fully
>> cryptographically secure to defeat  pervasive monitoring, explain why
>> not."
>
>What are you quoting? That text is *not* part of the
>draft, nor do I recall it being sent to the list by
>anyone.
>
>Surely inventing quotes is not fair game here?

The quote marks indicate that the text is a paraphrase; Lloyd Wood re-
states the meaning, or a possible interpretation, of the text, likely
to illustrate a problem with the text. This is a common discourse tech-
nique and should be entirely obvious; nothing unfair about it.

If it does not reflect the intended meaning of the text, then there are
various ways to make that very explicit in the text, for instance, it
could literally say that "full explanation of how pervasive monitoring
is mitigated" is not expected or required. Then it should be obvious
that the above is not a permissable paraphrase.
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@xxxxxxxxxxxx · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de