Re: Requirement to go to meetings

On 10/25/11 3:48 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

> --On Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:19 -0700 Fred Baker
> <fred@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 25, 2011, at 8:55 AM, Ping Pan wrote:
>>
>>>  the original issue remains: please make IETF meetings easier
>>>  and cheaper for us to go to. ;-)
>>
>> I think that a lot of people would like that. There are a
>> number of problems that need to be solved to make them cheaper
>> to attend.
>>
>> One is the issue of air fare and hotel cost; these have been
>> brought up before. 25 years ago, all meetings were in the US,
>> as were most of the participants. People came from Europe and
>> Australia at significantly greater cost, but for the average
>> attendee, putting all meetings in the US reduced meeting cost.
>> It's now 25 years later, and that logic doesn't remotely start
>> to work.
>
> Ok, Fred, let me enter one suggestion into this discussion that
> would actually cut total costs, recognize and take advantage of
> the observation that an increasing number of WGs are holding
> virtual interim meetings, and reduce pressures on meeting time
> conflicts and trying to get everything done in 4 3/4 days.
>
> Eliminate one of the face to face meetings entirely -- go to two
> a year and either hold the 4 3/4 day schedule or, better cut it
> back to four.

Reducing the number of meetings a year from three to two makes sense.
Naturally, we'd need to work through the implications (e.g., the NomCom
schedule is defined in terms of three meetings a year).

Plus, it's a natural complement to having reduced the number of maturity
levels from three to two. ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre