Re: Requirement to go to meetings

On Oct 23, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Melinda Shore wrote:

> On 10/22/11 10:26 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>> So the question is how to move the center of gravity back to mailing lists?
>
> In all honesty I'd say that the largest source of this problem is
> working group chairs, both for using meetings as deadline anchors
> and for doing a really crappy job managing remote participation
> during meetings (and thereby increasing the need to be there in
> person).  A few do an outstanding job, a few don't even try, and
> most are somewhere in the middle.  It may be worth doing a wg chairs
> training session on this topic during an upcoming meeting.
>
> Melinda

I understand your point about using the meetings as an anchor but want to dig into the managing remote participation during IETF meetings better.

Can you give an example of chairs that do it well and what is it they do? Then perhaps contrast with what it is that chairs that do it poorly are doing. Feel free to use me as an example of a chair that does it poorly - I have no idea how to do it so it works at all much less works well.