Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Michael Dillon wrote:

> Even if you are unwilling to accept these criticisms when CHOOSING venues,

I am not at all unwilling to accept the criticisms, I was responding
to the claim of a pattern. Maastricht clearly had problems, I think
that has been stated more than once. Dublin had its own set of
problems, but as you say below, there was a bus service to the center
of town and there were also a few nearby restaurants near the venue
and in the two hotels. I personally had no need to go to central
Dublin during that week for dinner.

> what is wrong with applying some bandaids to fix these problems for those
> venues where it is an issue. Even in Dublin and Maastricht there were
> "restaurant" districts nearby for those with vehicles. If the hosts or the
> IETF had operated a 15 min. shuttle service to the restaurant districts
> from 12 noon to 12 midnight, that would likely have resolved most if
> not all of the complaints about restaurants.

Indeed that would have been a great idea and did not happen because of
misinformation prior to the event.

> There really needs to be more creative thinking applied to these problems
> in addition with local knowledge. For instance in some venues it might
> be better to make bus guides available to take a group on local transit
> every 15 minutes rather than having shuttles.

Yes.