Re: SMTP and IPv6

On 30/06/2024 23:43, John Levine wrote:
But that is completely irrelevant to our problem which involves
sending mail at scale, what SES does. While I have no great insight
into AWS' internal operations, I expect the reason that SES doesn't
support IPv6 is that it would he a lot of work (way more than just
turning on a few IP addresses) and nobody cares. You can deliver 100%
of your mail over IPv4, and that will continue to be true for a long
time.

The pricing changes are part of their slow but steady roll-out for IPv6.
Many AWS services support IPv6 - https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vpc/latest/userguide/aws-ipv6-support.html

For reasons that have already been debated at length, SES is not quite there yet, but both Microsoft and Google (and others) have shown that it is not impossible at large scale, thus it is quite likely that SES will have dual stack in the future.

Of course an alternative could be that the IETF has its own VPCs with EC2 instances but it would need to build its reputation, as you very well know.

Kindest regards,

Olivier