Re: TELNET to HISTORIC Re: FTP

It appears that Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx> said:
>On 14/07/2024 02:54, Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) wrote:

Keeping in mind that this is a discussion that ended a month ago ...

>Admittedly one could use OpenSSL and Netcat but Telnet's probably more
>widespread by default?

If you want to test connections to random ports, Telnet is what we have
used by default but it's not really a great choice because it has all that
NVT stuff that might get confused by escape sequences in the data.

If you want to see what a port is saying, use netcat.  That's what it's for.

FWIW, my Mac has nc as part of the standard system but not telnet.

R's,
John