Re: why IPv6 is bad, No, SMTP is IPv4, Was: SMTP and IPv6

On 7/2/24 17:04, John R Levine wrote:

For operations within an enterprise, that's clearly true. For
public access outside the DMZ, being accessible via IPv6 will, I think,
be an increasing advantage as deployment of IPv6 at the consumer edge
continues to increase.

Given how hostile consumer ISPs are to retail customers runing servers visible to the public, I don't get it.  It makes P2P stuff somewhat easier but UPNP and STUN already let you do a lot of it from behind a NAT.

The requirements for NAT traversal drastically increase the cost and decrease the reliability of apps that need to do that.   UPNP is a security hole and STUN isn't a fix at all, sort of a bandage at best.

Keith