Re: SMTP and IPv6

On 6/29/24 14:49, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Saturday, June 29, 2024 14:00 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/29/24 13:14, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Saturday, June 29, 2024 09:54 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 6/29/24 08:20, John C Klensin wrote:

  From my point of view, this is mostly about the IETF's
  credibility when we establish standards and at least
implicitly encourage others to use them.  If we do not or cannot
use those standards in our own work, and avoid doing so without
public and understandable explanations, it calls everything we
are doing into question.
+1

But I want to go further than that.   If IETF insists that it
needs to outsource essential services that are based on IETF
protocols, that doesn't speak well for those protocols.
Keith,

The reason I am suggesting a careful, public, and fairly prominent
explanation for our decision to outsource to an organization that
does not support IPv6 (for email in this case) is precisely to
separate the protocols and their quality/ usability/
appropriateness from what is essentially an administrative (maybe
economic as well as management) decision.   I think it is also
appropriate for us to make it clear that we would be much happier
with the chosen vendor/ supplier if they supported mail (and other
protocols) over IPv6 even if other considerations (including "no
one we could find is any better about that") dictate that we
choose them anyway.
Not buying it, or at least, I disagree.

Let me first say that I find it highly inappropriate for such
decisions to be made without input from the broader community,
since basically those choices present a danger of undermining
IETF's core mission.
In principle, we actually do not disagree on that one.    I do,
however, see a difference between decisions that have strategic
impact on the IETF or on the Internet more generally and ones that
are primarily or entirely administrative or operational.  I don't
think it would serve anyone well for the community to get bogged down
in, or try to micromanage, the latter.

I don't think it serves IETF (or the Internet) well to let its operational staff unilaterally make decisions about which protocols to support based only on temporary expediency, when these choices potentially have long term effects on the success of those protocols.   So I think we do indeed disagree.

It seems to me that, in the above, you are making a different
argument, i.e., that the IETF should not be outsourcing _any_
important ("essential") service that runs on the Internet since
substantially every protocol is either our work or resting on it.

I'm not actually making that argument.   I see a big difference
between outsourcing services used by the general public (which has
become MUCH larger in, say, the past 20 years), versus outsourcing
services used primarily by IETF participants, which is I believe
somewhat smaller than it has been at some points in the past.
I am not sure I understand what you mean.  For example, measured by
any of number of senders, number of recipients, or number of
messages, email is used much more by the general public than by IETF
participants.

Right, but unless I've misunderstood, we're not talking about email provisioning for the whole Internet, but only email provisioning sufficient to support IETF discussions.

(And yes, I do understand that the Internet is much more hostile now than it was in the past.   But if IETF keeps assuming that the protocols don't have to change to adapt to that new threat situation, IMO that's naive at best.)

But note that there are two separate questions here: (1) should IETF operational staff be making these decisions without community input, and (2) should IETF be trying to adapt the Internet architecture to be less threatening to hosts in some way, or otherwise more scalable, to minimize the need for "outsourcing" or "cloud sourcing" or whatever?  (I don't pretend that the answer to the latter question is at all simple, but I'm trying to remember if/when we've even considered it.)

Or as others have pointed out in this conversation, maybe IETF should at least be looking at the conditions that compel organizations to outsource their services, rather than making that somebody else's problem.

(Or do we just want to throw in the towel say "the Internet was
nice while it lasted", and we might as well let it atrophy? Because
I see far too much of that attitude in IETF these days, and it's
appalling.)
Again, I agree but, at the same time, it is not clear what can be
done. If you suggest that we should be careful about not becoming
part of the problem rather than part of a solution, I'd agree even
while not, in many cases, thinking we are well-equipped to get out of
whatever holes we and others have dug ourselves into.

Well, encouraging a culture of denial in IETF probably isn't helping.

Keith